Russian Geographical Society invites volunteers to an ecological expedition in the Arctic
The Russian Geographical Society (RGO) announced the start of a competition to participate in the summer expedition to clean the Arctic zone of Russia from anthropogenic pollution, "The Arctic: Spring Cleanup." Applications will be accepted on the RGO website until March 5.
The team of volunteers requires scientists specializing in comprehensive study of the territory, experts in plasma metal cutting, and producers of photo and video content, and storytelling. Age of participants: from 18 to 35.
Plans for the expedition include:
• monitoring, collection, processing and analysis of data on the current level of man-made pollution of territories;
• measures to clean up and transfer garbage for recycling;
• scientific research in the cleaning zone: ecological, geophysical and others;
• working out recommendations for the development of tourism (routes, trails);
• creating popular science and educational content for travelers.
The project will take place between June and October in Krasnoyarsk Territory (Khatanga rural settlement), Murmansk Region (Kildin Island) and Chukotka Autonomous Area (Wrangel Island).
More information on the project can be found on the organizers' website.