The Tikhaya Bay polar station was established in 1929 on Hooker Island, part of the Franz Josef Land archipelago, and functioned until 1957. Currently, the former station accommodates a seasonal research station of Russian Arctic National Park. Since 2012, experts have been building an open-air exhibition site here. Once complete, this facility will acquaint tourists with a Soviet polar station dating to the mid-20th century.
Tikhaya Bay is closely linked with the name of Georgy Sedov, who headed the first Russian expedition to the North Pole aboard the vessel Svyatoy Muchenik Foka. Expedition members spent the winter of 1913-1914 here, with Sedov giving the area its current name.